Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 offers an extensive charting capability, helping business users analyse data quickly and effectively. The enriched chart feature allows users to create complex charts to gain real time business insight. Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 enables these charts to be created and rendered against each entity and the data in that entity can be analysed graphically using charts. It can serve as a component of a decision support system to allow users to make business decisions based on the real time data which also reduces the risk.
The chart control is rendered as a single visual image; it is a visualisation of the data of an entity. Charts represent the data of an entity in a graphical manner and they can be displayed on the “Chart Panel” next to the list view of the records of an entity or in the dashboards. Charts can also be included on the entity forms.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 comes with preconfigured charts for some of the standard system entities and new custom charts can be designed or configured for the custom or system entities based on the business requirements. There are two types of charts:
- System Charts: charts owned by the system and available to everyone with permissions to view charts.
- Personal Charts: charts owned by users or teams and can be shared with other users or teams as required (but not visible to everyone by default).
In this post we’re going to create a personal chart, as well as look at how to segment chart data using drilldown capabilities.
Step by Step Guide: How to create a personal chart
Consider a scenario whereby we are going to create a personal chart for the Case entity. The chart will display the number of cases by “Priority” and “Origin”.
Step by Step Guide:
- Navigate to the Case entity within the Service area.
- The default “Active Cases” view of the Case entity will be displayed.
- Expand the collapsed chart panel at the right hand side.
- Click on the plus (+) sign to create a new personal chart.
- Configure the new personal chart as shown below. Select two categories:
- Case Origin
- Click Save.
- It should now be available as a personal chart.
- Click on the newly created personal chart to see the results. The cases are represented by Priority and Origin.
Data Segmentation using the drilldown capability
All charts have drilldown capability, with business users able to drilldown into the real-time view to isolate any section of data and create additional, more detailed charts based on different criteria. This capability makes charts a very powerful and flexible tool for quickly spotting various business trends and drilling down into a trend for a more detailed view of the segmented data.
Step by Step Guide: How to use drilldown capability of the Charts
We’re going to use the above example of the personal chart we already created to better understand the chart drilldown capabilities.
- Click on the blue bar as shown below, it will drilldown into Cases with the following attributes:
- Normal Priority
- Phone (as Case Origin)
I hope this post has helped you better understand how to create charts in Microsoft Dynamics CRM, including how to segment by drilling down further into charts.